Fill the Red Truck Donation Drive
Event InfoMay 16th and 17th, 2020
9am to 5pm
At the corner of Heyward Street and Holly Street in Shandon (2 blocks from the Rosewood Publix)
Items NeededCanned and dry food (dog and cat), cat litter, bleach and cleaning supplies, leashes, collars, crates and carriers, toys, towels, blankets, and beds as well as monetary contributions.
How it All Started
Started in 2009 by Shandon resident Carolyn McKenzie and six of her closest friends, the Fill The Red Truck event has been hosted at the corner of Heyward and Holly Streets annually to help fill the supply needs of the City of Columbia shelter through the busy spring months. The friends, who call themselves “Paws and Purrls,” gather in the front yard of McKenzie’s home for a weekend of socializing and fundraising, and all neighbors are welcome to stop by to enjoy the fun or lend a hand. The Animal Mission is truly grateful for this hardworking team and the effort they put into supporting us each May.
Over the last 11 years, the group has been responsible for collecting:
- 9,900 pounds of dry dog food
- 3,700 pounds of dry cat food
- 2,100 pounds of cat litter
- 1,400 rolls of paper towels
- 1,950 cans of canned cat food
- 1,250 cans of canned dog food
- 475 gallons of bleach and cleaning products
- 50 crates/pet carriers
- 27 garden hoses
- countless toys, leashes, collars, blankets, towels and other items
- As well as more than $20,000 in monetary donations.